Phoebus is an update of the Control System Studio toolset that removes dependencies on Eclipse RCP and SWT.
While Eclipse RCP has served CS-Studio well for about a decade, we are beginning to experience its limitations for control system user interface development.
Key Goals of the Phoebus project:
- Retain functionality of key CS-Studio tools, specifically the Display Builder, Data Browser, PV Table, PV Tree, Alarm UI, Scan UI, .. supporting their original configuration files with 100% compatibility.
- Provide full control of window placement free from RCP restrictions.
- Use Java FX as the graphics library to overcome limitations of SWT.
- Prefer core Java functionality over external libraries whenever possible: Java FX as already mentioned, Java 9 modules for bundling, SPI for locating extensions, java.util for logging and preferences, …
- Reduce build system complexity, fetching external dependencies in one initial step, then supporting a fully standalone, reproducible build process.